It’s been almost two weeks since the Memphis Flyer published results of it’s 2012 Best of Memphis reader poll. This will be my third and final post on the subject. Many people, myself included, have grown tired of seeing the same restaurants listed year after year, but in the categories for newly opened establishments there are no repeat winners.
Best New Restaurant
1. Alchemy - I love Alchemy… More on that later in this post.
2. Slider Inn - Great patio, pretty good wings (review coming soon), and the kitchen is open late. I’m a fan.
3. Stone Soup Cafe – Sadly, I haven’t paid a visit yet.
Best New Bar
1. Alchemy – I totally agree.
2. Slider Inn – The bar area is cramped but the patio and service make up for that.
3. Blind Bear – I have mixed emotions about Blind Bear. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I don’t.
I would have been thrilled to see the Double J Smokehouse and Saloon make it to either or both of these lists. I have spent more time (and money) at the Double J than any other restaurant this year. The food is great, both bars are great, the patio is great. What’s not to love? Oh, did I mention they have really good smoked hot wings?
I’m pleased to see Alchemy on both lists, and in the first position! Alchemy is also a favorite of mine. The fist time I walked in to Alchemy I was in awe of the beauty of the place. There is nothing else like it in Memphis. The horseshoe shaped bar is perfect for people watching, and the typical crowd and Alchemy is definitely worth watching. They do have chicken wings on the menu but they are covered in a sugary sauce, so I’ve never tried them. No worries though, Alchemy has many things on the menu that I can, and do eat. The lamb ribs have to be one of my favorite dishes in Memphis. Here is picture for your viewing pleasure…
Alchemy also won the Best Bar, and Best Martini categories, and tied for first with Sweet Grass (directly across the street) in the Best New American Cuisine category. Yay for Alchemy! It makes me happy to see this place get some well deserved, positive recognition.